KALAHARI AUGRABIES EXTREME MARATHON
The Event Itinerary depends on which Package you choose for your Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon adventure. For Package details please refer to the Pricing Schedule.
WEDNESDAY, 25 October 2017 (Package 2)
• Accommodation is reserved at the Peermont Metcourt Hotel, Johannesburg on a twin-share basis including breakfast.
• Any extras (meals, drinks, telephone calls, etc.) will be for your account and needs to be settled at the hotel before checking out.
• Physical Address: 64 Jones Road, Kempton Park
• Telephone: +27 11 928 1000, Fax: +27 11 928 1001
• There is a complementary shuttle from O.R. Tambo, Johannesburg International Airport to the Peermont Metcourt. The Hotel Shuttle can be found outside terminal 2A, International Arrivals at the designated Hotel “pick up” and “drop off” point situated opposite the Airport Inter-Continental Hotel outside the terminal buildings.
• Directions from International Arrival Terminal to Shuttle pick up – Turn left as you exit the Terminal. Walk along the driveway until the pedestrian crossing, then turn right across the driveway into the opposite building (with covered parking above). Do not take the escalators, but walk past them until you come to the Luxliner Bus bookings cubicle. Turn right here and exit the building into the passageway next to the Intercontinental Hotel. Turn right again, and follow the passageway to the shuttle terminus behind the Intercontinental Hotel. Wait for the Emperors Palace bus at the terminus. Please note that the Courtesy Shuttle runs between the hours of 06h00 and 00h00 daily. For any transport requirements after 00h00, kindly contact their Transport Desk on +27 11 928 1762
• See the Peermont Metcourt’s website on www.emperorspalace.co.za and then click on “Hotels” for facilities.
THURSDAY, 26 October 2017
After breakfast, check out of your hotel room. The accommodation and breakfast have been prepaid but any extras must be paid directly to the hotel on check out.
08:30 Transfer by shuttle to OR Tambo Airport for your flight to Upington.
09:00 Check in at OR Tambo Airport, Terminal B, Airlink Counter, for your flight SA8767 to Upington.
11:00 Depart: Johannesburg
12:30 Arrive: Upington
On arrival in Upington, board the Coach for your 120km transfer to the Augrabies Falls National Park from where the Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon race kicks off. Nadia will be waiting for you at the Conference Centre where you will collect your chalets keys and ‘goodies bag’ which will include your KAEM documentation, route/map booklet.
Balance of the afternoon is for your own leisure.
The accommodation is booked on a sharing basis in the chalets at the Augrabies Falls National Park.
NB: If you have arranged to meet the Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon group at Upington Airport and travel together by Coach to Augrabies Falls National Park, you have to be at the Airport by 12:50 to load your luggage. The Coach will leave Upington Airport at 13:00.
(Package 1 & Package 2)
IMPORTANT!! IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING WITH YOUR OWN TRANSPORT, GO TO THE AUGRABIES FALLS LODGE FIRST TO COLLECT YOUR CAR STICKER TO ALLOW YOU ENTRANCE INTO THE PARK. THE ROOMS WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM 15:00. (THE LODGE IS ONLY 4KM FROM THE PARK.)
19:00 Meet at the Parking Area, Augrabies Falls National Park, for transfer to the Augrabies Falls Lodge for dinner.
19:30 Typical South African ‘potjie’ dinner at the Augrabies Falls Lodge.
21:30 Transfer back to the Augrabies Falls National Park to your accommodation.
FRIDAY, 27 October 2017
Use your breakfast voucher at the Quiver Tree Restaurant at the Augrabies Falls National Park
At leisure until 10:30.
10:30 Runners’ briefing. All runners must attend with their full packs and equipment.
Once the briefing is finished, start the compulsory equipment and medical checks.
Once the compulsory equipment is checked, your list will be signed. Take this list for your medical checks and have it signed off here too.
Hand in your signed list to the last table and you will be given your running bib and a bottle of water which must be used to fill your running bottles for Day 1, Start to CP 1.
12:30 Burger lunch.
18:00 Meet at the Parking Area, Augrabies Falls National Park, for transfer to the Augrabies Falls Lodge for dinner.
18:30 Early schnitzel dinner at the lodge.
Transfer back to the Park.
Accommodation booked on a sharing basis at the Augrabies Falls National Park.
SATURDAY, 28 October 2017
Ensure that your running bottles are filled.
07:30 Take your luggage (which will be locked away for the duration of the event) to the Conference Center. Make sure that each item is clearly labeled with your name and bib number. Do not hand in any loose items. Two baggage labels are included in your information wallet. Please ensure that you sign for your luggage.
Make your way to the start.
08:00 Start of the 18th Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon.
SATURDAY, 28 October 2017 to FRIDAY, 03 November 2017
Each day is detailed on the Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon Roadbook.
FRIDAY, 03 November 2017
Staggered start for the last leg.
10:00 Participants finish the race. Platter ‘finger foods’ and refreshments will be available as you finish. Refreshments can be signed for and paid for that evening.
14:00 Once everyone has finished the race, sign for and collect your luggage and your chalet keys. The chalets WILL NOT be available before 14:30.
Rest of day at leisure.
17:00 Meet at the Parking Area, Augrabies Falls National Park, for transfer to the Augrabies Falls Lodge for a traditional South African braai.
17:30 Traditional South African braai at the Augrabies Falls Lodge.
Transfer back to the Augrabies Falls National Park.
Accommodation Augrabies Falls National Park.
SATURDAY, 04 November 2017
Use your breakfast and lunch vouchers at the Quiver Tree Restaurant at the Augrabies Falls National Park
Rest of the day at leisure.
16:30 Meet at the Parking Area, Augrabies Falls National Park, for transfer to the Augrabies Falls Lodge for the Prize Giving function and dinner. After dinner, Simon and Gunther will entertain you. Do you know the words yet of “Sunset, Rivers, Rocks and Sand and Space…..”
21:30 Transfer back to the Augrabies Falls National Park. You can stay later, but please make ensure you have made arrangements for transport back to the Augrabies Falls National Park.
Accommodation Augrabies Falls National Park.
SUNDAY, 05 November 2017
07:00 Use your breakfast voucher at the Quiver Tree Restaurant at the Augrabies Falls National Park.
09:30 Meet at the Car Park and board the Coach for your transfer to Upington Airport.
10:00 Depart Augrabies Falls National Park.
11:30 Check in at Upington Airport for your flight SA 8768 to Johannesburg on Airlink.
12:50 Depart: Upington
14:25 Arrive: Johannesburg, Terminal B.
In case you would like to tailor your itinerary, please get in contact with us, or email Nadia at firstname.lastname@example.org