Travelling to KAEM
The Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon (KAEM) takes place in the vicinity of Augrabies which is situated 120km west of Upington in the Northern Cape Province of South Africa.
Giving you an idea of travel time, approximate distances between some of the main cities in South Africa and Augrabies are as follows:
- Johannesburg to Augrabies – 900km
- Cape Town to Augrabies – 870km
- Durban to Augrabies – 1,300km
- Port Elizabeth to Augrabies – 1,000km
1. Flying to Upington and travelling onwards to Augrabies Falls National Park
Airlink is the only airline carrier that flies between Johannesburg and Cape Town to Upington. You can book Airlink flights online or your travel agent can book these flights on your behalf either as part of your international air ticket or as separate tickets. Listed below are the best flights to book to connect with the transfers to and from the Augrabies Falls National Park. Please do not book flights that arrive later or depart earlier than these flights.
Please Note: We have requested that Airlink increases the size of these aircrafts to accommodate participants flying into and out of Upington for KAEM participation.
Procedure to book the flights via the internet:
- Log onto https://flyairlink.com/ or https://www.flysaa.com/
- Select either ‘Round Trip’ or ‘One Way’, depending on your requirements.
- Complete the information:
- Origin – Johannesburg (OR Tambo)
- Destination – Upington
- Departing – 10 October 2019 (click on the calendar)
- Returning – 20 October 2019 (click on the calendar)
- Click on ‘Find Flights’
- This will bring up a screen of the available flights and the various airfares
- Book and pay for your selected air ticket
Transfers to the Augrabies Falls National Park from Upington Airport
KAEM books the transfers to and from Upington Airport to the Augrabies Falls National Park with Ecobus, a local bus hire company in Augrabies. These transfers cost R300 each way (R600 return) and this amount can be added onto your entry fee. It is a 120km road trip and we have allocated 1hr30min for this trip.
Accommodation in Johannesburg
There are various options of accommodation in close proximity to OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg should you be arriving before 18 October. For your convenience, book a hotel that has a shuttle service and a restaurant on the premises.
Various recommended airport hotels:
- Southern Sun OR Tambo International Airport (Free Shuttle) https://www.tsogosun.com/southern-sun-or-tambo-international-airport
- Garden Court OR Tambo International Airport (Free Shuttle) https://www.tsogosun.com/garden-court-or-tambo-international-airport
- Emperors Palace Complex (Free Shuttle) http://www.emperorspalace.com/hotels/hotels-overview
- City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo International Airport (walking distance from Arrivals) https://clhg.com/hotels/152/City-Lodge-Hotel-OR-Tambo-International-Airport
Accommodation in Cape Town
There are various options of accommodation in Cape Town depending on where you want to stay; i.e. at the Waterfront, in the City, at the beach. For your convenience, book a hotel that has a shuttle service and restaurant facilities on the premises.
Accommodation options can be explored here: https://hotels.travelstart.com/
2. Travelling by InterCape bus
The InterCape Bus Company offers bus transport from around South Africa. You can purchase your ticket online at www.intercape.co.za
Johannesburg Depot – Intercape Office, Park City Transit Centre, Johannesburg Station
Cape Town Depot – Intercape Office, Unit 2, Old Marine Drive, Cape Town Station
Upington Depot – Intercape Office, Lutz Street
Kakamas Depot – Kalahari Gateway Hotel, Voortrekker Street
Transfers to and from the Augrabies Falls National Park from Kakamas
KAEM books transfers to and from Upington Airport via Kakamas to the Augrabies Falls National Park, with Ecobus, a local bus hire company in Augrabies. The bus will stop at the Kalahari Gateway Hotel in Kakamas to pick up and drop off participants traveling from and to Kakamas to Augrabies Falls National Park. These transfers cost R100 each way (R200 return) and this amount can be added onto your entry fee. From Kakamas it is a 35km road trip and we have allocated 30min for this trip.
3. Traveling to Augrabies Falls National Park by car
You may travel to Augrabies Falls National Park by car, either directly to the Park or to Upington International Airport where you can make use of the KAEM bus travel option to Augrabies Falls National Park (please see option 1).
Car hire options can be explored here: http://cars.travelstart.co.za/#/searchcars